Friday, April 4, 2014

Scolded

As I waited for my period to arrive, I made 2 calls to my nurse: one to inform her that we were still alive post cycle; second to ask if there were tests needed to done on day2 of my period.  Upon the 2nd call from yesterday I was reminded that Testosterone, CBC and chemistry "needed to be done" before the period.  I immediately felt frustration rushing to my head, because the flow was already late and obviously on her way.  If it shows up before I could take the test, would I still be able to start priming? Further, if the numbers come back less than good, would they let me continue priming?? Why why why didn't she tell me about this when I called her a week ago???????
So I called again, and spoke to another nurse who informed me that no day2 is required for priming, so that's good.

When I did get the lab request, I did something bad, (or at least unethical): I marked the results "same day" and "STAT" on my own, which not only calls for it to come back on the same day, it would also be an emergency request so it's pretty much guaranteed to be received by CCRM within a few hours. I was so nervous about the lab doesn't come back in time until CCRM closes and I don't get to start priming or have to stop priming. In my previous cycle, I nearly had to cancel my priming due to a few miscommunications between me and my nurse.  That's how I learned to be on my own BALL and not completely rely on the nurse. However it left a very bitter taste in my braincells, having to make 10 calls to track my results on both ends, worrying to death that ccrm doesn't get results in time and my cycle would be affected..Anyway, after the blood draw I confessed to a ccrm nurse since mine wasn't in. She scolded me, very politely, saying if the tests are marked "STAT", the doctor might get a call in the mid-night and he "wouldn't be happy" about it. I wholeheartedly agree. Who wants to get a work call in the middle of night? She did let know that they intended to have me start priming regardless of the tests, so my action was not even necessary at the end.

But I will most certainly commit the "crime" again, when it comes to my cycle, just as CCRM gets very meticulous when it comes to collecting their payments. I'm not in anyway encouraging anyone to do the same, but there has to be a silver lining for the patients. When miscommunication/errors happen, and everyone is busy dodging responsibilities, the patients suffer. All I want, is to go through this last cycle without any headache/problems, I don't think we could take more headaches at this point...

2 comments:

  1. I did something similar, added a test for estradiol during my FET. It turned out to be a good thing because I was at 182 and needed to be at 300. I agree, especially with CCRM you have to stay on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Totally! :) Better to be safe than sorry...!

    ReplyDelete