Monday, April 8, 2013

Cancer scare (how I love when life decides to throw you a bad bone)

Last week I had my PAP at CHR, standard procedure.  This week the nurse informed me that my PAP came back "positive"-- the lab observed a large amount of abnormal cells(possible HPV), and requires me to follow up with a colposcopy (where the doctor goes into the cervix for close observation of lesions or displeasure).  Today I got my colposcopy, it was not a gentle procedure although short and sufferable.  The doctor took a biopsy at "2pm endo cervix" (not exactly sure what he called it) location. In the follow up meeting, he said it was not cancerous, but he needed to take a sample and will call me next week to discuss the result.  I'm relieved that I'm not in any stages of cancer, as my sister in law is currently going through her stage 4 cervical cancer treatment...we are not very close but I wish I can do more for her, if she'll let me.  The doctor said 60% of women will or already have HPV infection, as "you can get infected in your mother's vagina" (his words).
During the weekend, I kept thinking there is no way GOD would kill me before I become a mother, that thought makes me almost fearless.
So, the big scare of the week it is.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to read abotu this scare and so glad that they determined it is not cancer. Wishing you the best of luck with the follow up call

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you K, what a week! Hugs-Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete